Friday, January 05, 2007

DIgging in the dirt

I've been thinking so much of my grandmothers today. First my dad's mom, "Louisa" as I used to call her teasingly...she was such a nice grandma...played board games with me, taught me to play Poker, Canasta, Pinocle, and Crazy 8's...oh and my favorite, Hearts! Today I was looking for an old bible around here to use a quote from it for one of my collage necklaces...well, I found hers which she'd received at only 15 years old...it is an OLD one...couldn't bring myself to cut anything out of it. Just ended up looking through it and thinking how her hands had touched it too so long ago. Then, I got to thinking of my other grandmother,"Mom Jones", my mom's mom. She was such a character, wore her underwear around the house most of the time, along with her lipstick and dangling earrings. She loved to garden and this photo today reminded me of something she once said to me. "You'll never get depressed if you dig in a garden." This is a ruby pup of mine that I co-own with a friend. She is watching my friend's grandson dig away...does that look like fun or what? Makes me ready for spring and winter is just barely starting here...oh well, something to look forward to!!!
Betzie

2 comments:

Janet said...

I love having old things that belonged to my family. It somehow seems a connection with them. Your grandmothers both sound interesting in different ways. I can just see the one playing cards with all the kids and the other one digging in the garden....but not in her underwear!
The photo is just too cute....both the little boy and the dog. Just remember Spring is just around the corner!!

Werna Gail said...

The quote from your grandmother must be true as I love to dig in the dirt and I consider myself to be very happy and content. I'm thankful I live in an area where it is possible to garden all year long. Spring wil be there before you know it.

Followers