My youngest son who's sixteen takes piano lessons. Here he is playing when he was younger. He has no desire to be a famous musician, but he enjoys it, and I've never had to really get after him to play.
He takes from a wonderful man that used to be a family doctor. Now he's retired, and plays his music for churches and events, and teaches lessons as well. Kevin is so lucky to have met up with him.
He says a lot of neat things to Kevin. I love to go and listen, not just to Kevin's playing, but to his teacher's words of wisdom.
I take along my journal and jot down phrases he says now and then.
Like this one:
INSPIRATION COMES TO YOU AS YOU PLAY
This applies to me and my art as well! I don't know about you, but sometimes I sit in my craft/art room and just don't know where to start. I have so many things I want to make, so many materials, but to get myself to actually start creating can be my biggest challenge. I'd rather sit here and blog, or research new materials and ideas, or send emails!
When I do finally START to "play", I get more inspired and so often I'll do things to some project and not even feel like I'm thinking of them...it's my inner voice or my inner muse that just takes control and I'm somewhere in the background just observing!
Another short quote I wrote down:
BE INTERNAL
For Kevin, he needed to look more inside himself as he played Beethoven, to really "feel" the music...such DEEP music it is and so so soul reaching. I just sit there in awe of Beethoven's gift. His music lives on and on and evokes such emotion in me as I sit there totally absorbed in the moment.
But again, it's true of art...if we just take time to be more "internal", we can learn and discover so much.
One thing I want to do more of this year is meditation. I think I may just start with a few guided imagery tapes. I'm not too disciplined as it is, so I think I need a little help to get me going. Any suggestions?
One last quote to share:
START ANYWHERE...NO RIGHT NO WRONG... IT'S WHAT YOU LIKE
Here, Kevin needed to JUST PLAY and let himself go in his jazz/blues piece...his teacher was trying to teach him how to improvise.
Sometimes, I see what others do, and I think, "Oh, if only I could do that," or I get caught up in doing something a certain way because I "think" that's how it should be done. The thing is though, I don't want to copy or do the same thing other people do...although so often I'll make something and THEN see something like it the next day somewhere online(isn't that freaky?) I so love collage because there are no rules and one can just create as they please.
Speaking of which, I need to go START PLAYING and creating...so I'll catch y'all later!!!
"It's the journey that really matters."
4 comments:
Great post, Betzie! That music teacher has a lot of words of wisdom. I wrote about being creative today, too. Now I guess I better follow my own words and get busy, too. See ya in the studio!!
I love quotes and I love that you journal these down when you hear them!! Start where you like and be internal...I'm loving these!! Just the spark I needed tonight...thank you!
Lovely post Betzie! Your son is a doll. I understand the creativity dilema. Go create and be free to express yourself your way. No worries.
Blessings to you! Nancy
Thank you for thinking of Erika! blessings Denise
Post a Comment