
I hoard old buttons.

When I see them sitting in old mason jars or tin cans in antique shops, I just can't resist them.


My grandmother left me a tin of her buttons and that's what got me started. For years, they sat in the closet and I could have cared less about them. About seven years ago, I discovered them, and started to use them in sewing and art projects. Then, I realized that a lot of them were very old, and I probably shouldn't have! I don't know..I see people buying them on ebay for a lot of money. I haven't really studied them or researched them, guess I should.

I especially love the floral ones and the metal picture ones.

Also, I think the bone ones are neat, and the crsytal ones are so pretty. I think these bone ones date back to the mid to late 1800's.

I also LOVE the Mother of Pearl ones:

I used a combination of mother of pearl buttons and off white ones to make a simple brooch. I cut out two heart shaped pieces of cardboard, glued them together, covered them with an antique piece of embossed red velvet, and used a gold trim to hide the edging. Then, I layered the buttons and added a pin clasp in the back.
Fun for Valentine's Day and doesn't take long to make.
9 comments:
I, too, have old buttons from my mom and my grandma and I love to just sit and look at them. Your heart brooch is beautiful. I seldom use any of my old buttons. Maybe I should.
Love those old buttons too! I use them in my art. I also have a box of them. The heart brooch is awesome.
I love buttons too - and these are gorgeous. The brooch is a lovely idea.
Betzie, I love the heart brooch...it's so vintage, delicate and romantic!!! Old buttons are something we always had in our house...and you have some very antique ones in your collection. They are simply rich with history and can take you back very quickly to a different place and time.
What is it about old buttons we seem to all love??? I have LOTS of them from mom and granny and some I have collected from other places.
I am so torn about using them, but have started to anyway. GREAT idea about the brooch, love it.
Just lovely!!!
As you can see, there are alot of us Button lovers. This is my first time to your blog, a pleasure to have found you. I will be back.
I can't seem to walk by a button without thinking of my Grandmother.
She took buttons off of everything that had become unwearable.
Have a great day, mary
A beautiful brooch, what a great idea. This is stunning ! Thank you for commenting on my blog too !
Linda
linsart
I have started hoarding buttons as well, and been thinking of what to make with them. I love this little brooch, I'm gonna try something like this, too. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment