I thought I'd share a pink pillow I made several years ago. It's a favorite of mine because I used some old flower silks that belonged to my grandmother. She was so neat and tidy and I found these all wrapped up in an old napkin with tiny tissue paper between each one. I picked my favorites and made this simple pillow, but I love the colors and the pinks are really soft and pretty in it.
I made the rose the middle square as it was the prettiest of all I think...
Love the lily of the valley too....
Tobacco silks were distributed around 1910-1915 in packages of tobacco products.I've seen them as butterflies, flags, and Indians, and I guess they are quite collectible, but they fray easily so neat to use them in pillows, quilts, or embroidery.
Have a very Happy Pink Saturday and be sure to visit
19 comments:
Good Morning Betzie!
I am such a pillow person and I love designing and making them.
I absolutely love yours. I did not know that such lovelies would come with tobacco, amazing.
Its wonderful that your Grandmother preserved them so carefully. I think she knew that you were going to do something special with them.
Happy Pink Saturday.
Hi Betzie--I'm so glad you posted these beautiful pillows. I've missed your posts. That's really interesting about the tobacco silks--I never even heard of them before--I love them!
Betzie, you are SO talented! How lovely this pillow is! I love the fact you incorporated the vintage elements that belonged to your grandmother. That makes it even more special.
Thank you for sharing with us.
Happy Pink Saturday to you!
XO,
Sheila :-)
P.S. One of my very best friends has a King Charles Spaniel that looks like the one on your sidebar. They had two others before him. It's their favorite breed, and I love how calm and sweet they are!
I love that these were your grandmother's and that you're honoring them and her with this pillow. I only have ONE thing from past generations and I cherish it.
Thank you for visiting my blog today ~ Sherry
A lovely pillow you made Betzie. And I also like that there's something from your grandma. It's a wonderful way to display these pretties and at the same time a remembrance from her.
Happy Pink Saturday!
Mizpah,
Li
What a wonderful Pink Saturday post! I just ♥ the fact that each of us shares such a variety of items - that's one reason why this event is never boring. Always something fun, new, lovely or interesting around the corner.
Thanks for sharing a part of yourself today☺ Cold, gloomy day today but, as always, bright and sunny on the Pink Saturday blogs.
♫Wishing you sunshine and happiness this weekend!♫
Betzie, that is such a beautiful pillow and I love that the tobacco silks came from your grandmother's stash! I have read about them but have never seen them in real life.
I hope you have an extra special day today!! Enjoy!!!!
Your pillow is beautiful Betzie! Love that it is made with these saved little treasures your grandmother kept! Happy Pink Saturday, and hope you're enjoying your weekend! ~tina
Betzie, this pillow is stunningly beautiful. And it is priceless because they are your Grandmother's silks. You are so talented!
Happy Pink Saturday!
You are so lucky that your grandmother preserved these tobacco silks. The pillows you made are exquisite.
Joyce M
Betzie, what a precious piece of history in your pillow. Just so pretty, too. Happy Pink Saturday!
Happy Pink Saturday !!! I have enjoyed visiting your blog and viewing your lovely photos - I really love to view everyones handmade pillows - yours is beautiful. Please a wonderful new week.
hi betzie
WOW! i just love the pillow. i never knew there was such a thing as tobacco silks, and they were beautiful. have a blessed week.
marie
It is wonderful to use something so lovely. Often we leave these things in boxes,and no one ever see's them. You made a teasure...
Love this. Big Hugs, Mary
Goodness sakes, honey ♫Happy Birthday♫. You certainly do deserve that Tiramisu. Hope you had some on Saturday and if not, make some today☺
Betzie, I just read your comment on my blog :D
Betzie, I just read your comment on my blog :D
And I just saw that I put that comment in twice--I think I better go to bed :)
Hi Betzie,
Your grandmothers silks are beautiful and you worked them into the pillow so pretty. I think my favorite of the silks is the white lilies..just beautiful.I had heard of tobacco silks before, but had never seen any. I like the other pillow also.. Happy belated Pink Saturday..I'm trying really hard to visit everyone our list..it was a long list of pinkies this week..
Post a Comment