Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mail Art

I happened upon the Three Muses blog and noticed their art challenge this week was "MAIL ART".

A few years ago I found some old old letters written by my grandfather to my grandmom when he was serving in WW1. They were in an old box and even in their original envelopes. My grandmother had saved them all those years...both are long gone now but they left such an impression on my life and will never be forgotten. I loved reading those letters...nothing that a young child couldn't even read...almost like mini journal entries of what my grandfather was doing, even what he had to eat that day. Nothing super romantic either!!! Still, I loved holding them in my hands, knowing my grandfather had touched them as well as my grandmother...they were written before they got married back in the early 1900's, probably around 1916 and 1917.

Photobucket

Here's my mail art that I made using some snippets from the letter,some old Japanese money, and some pics of my grandparents...and the baby was my dad. :) I must confess though, I made these a while ago...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So happy I have these old letters...

8 comments:

Fete et Fleur said...

You are so lucky to have these letters from your beloved grandparents. I love what you did with them!

Nancy

Diane said...

Wonderful story--wonderful way to cherish their memory!

Renee said...

Betzie the old letters are such a gift.

Love Renee xoxo

Taluula said...

Hi Betzie, I found this post in the round about way of first seeing Diane's blog entry who used our theme of mail art for her first challenge.

The work you have done with your grandparents' letters is simply beautiful and something to cherish forever.

To allow more people to see it and to comment on your work why don't you post a link at the Three Muses? Or have you done that and I have missed it in some way? I hope not.

Kind regards
Ann

Janny said...

Great story, it's beautiful!

indybev said...

Thanks for sharing your Christmas traditions with us, and for sharing the story of your grandparents. Our blog is all about sharing talents and stories. Thanks for stopping by!

Sandy said...

Wow what a wonderful story and gorgeous mail art.

Ozstuff said...

How lucky you are to have these precious letters and you have done them proud with your beautiful and creative artwork. Thanks so much for joining in our challenge this week. I hope we will see you around a lot in the future - when you have the time. It's never too late. We treasure every entry we receive no matter when it arrives.

Followers