
I am another victim. I have come under Marie's spell.
Not sure how it happened. I never really cared about her before. Never studied about her in history, never read a book about her, or saw any movie.

Last year, Catherine Moore had an online call for a Fashion Theatre troupe to join together to design theatres about this infamous Queen. I signed up and wondered what in the world I had gotten myself into... I started reading about her online, at the library, and you know how it goes...things just started coming to me. I made a bulletin board about her above my craft table

and a box to hold my stash of Marie treasures and trims.

For the first time in a long time, I felt so compelled to let myself go in a project. I would feel her eyes upon me and sometimes I wondered if it were my hands or her hands at work. You can see my full slide show of my final theatre if you'd like to here.
That was the beginning of my OBSESSION.
Since then, I've made cards.


Collages....


Dolls...



Paper crowns...

Her faces haunt me...



But not in a scary way...I found her to be made of many layers, not all fluff and sweets, but a loyal and dedicated mother that loved her children first and foremost...and someone that was a victim of her times and misunderstood by many.

This year I hope to have a small Christmas tree of Marie ornaments. If I have time I will also make some for my etsy shop.


I use old laces, trims, vintage velvets, old jewels, crystals, and I add touches of beeswax to make them look older and also to add a hint of scent. Marie loved perfumes you know...


Happy Birthday Marie!!!


Thanks to Joy at Cupid's Charm for hosting this royal event!
32 comments:
Lovely photos! That sounds like a love christmas tree...a "marie tree"!
gorgeous post!!!
this is so fun
oxoxo,
jessi
Hello,
Love all your designs. Your Marie dolls are awesome!
~ Gabriela ~
What a wonderful post,I love the ornaments.What a wonderful idea you have for a tree.Thnak you for stopping by.I am having a givaway.The drawing is Nov. 8.Just go back to my post below the Marie A, Party and leave a name for my newest doll vignette.I would love for you to join,its not to late.Hugs Marie Antionette
Love your M.A. posts. What lovely crafts you've made. Thank you for visiting and forthe comment!
I LOVE all your Maire creations!Thanks so much for stopping by and Bonne Anniversaire!
Sandy xox
I am losing my head over your beautiful creations!
everything is gorgeous!!
smiles,
Sandy
What a lovely collection You have. your Marie Antoinette tree sounds wonderful.
Beautiful creations Betzie! I love the cards.
She was a victim. So sad.
We really are kindred spirits my dear. I love the idea of a Marie tree. I can't wait to see it!
Hugs!
Nancy
Your cards are fabulous!
Wow you have the bug!
Great post... If you're interested in learning a bit more about her, I highly recommend reading "The Queen of Fashion"- It's a great interpretation of how her clothing and style reflected both her own sense as well as that of France and the tumultuous times...
Yes my dear you are a true Marie - ite...you create delightful delicacies that Marie would be so proud of!
Loved the ornaments!!! What a great idea to have a Marie Tree for Christmas! You could leave that up all year too! Thank you very much for participating in the Soiree ~ xoxo Joy
Lovely post! Hugs, Denise
Very nice! I enjoyed your post on Marie! Her faces are intriguing aren't they? Quite a legend that Marie!!
Hugs, Sherry
All of your Marie pieces are really beautiful!
Your Marie creations are lovely. She certainly is a muse for you.
I love this post! And I love all the theatrical (is that an english word?) pieces that were made by the 'Catherine Moore group'. I studied history at Leiden's university and I always liked it to be touched by a new subject as you describe so well in your relationship with Marie. Looking forward to your tree!
Your dolls are especially delicious, I share your obsession! What inspiring images.
It was nice to meet you at the party! Hugs,
Sasha
Wonderful and very enjoyable post...
Louise
Wonderful and gorgeous tribute to Marie Antoinette. Your love of Marie shines through all your art.
A beautiful tribute to the Grande Marie... and so many lovely pieces of art! Thank you for sharing!
All the best,
Holly
I love trees with a theme...sounds
really beautiful.
I just got home from Illinois,also got sick while I was away, needless
to say I am WAYYY behind on every-
thing.
Betzie, thanks for your beautiful post. It looks like Marie creations have been in your life for awhile! Thanks for coming to visit me on my blog and for your kind words.
Jenni B
What a lovely story and beautiful pics. Please stop by my blog and enter my giveaway
Patti V
Thank you for lovely comment on my 'Marie Antoinette' Christmas shoe.Stampington Magazine asked me to submit one of my 'Marie' shoe's,charm and tag.I am so excited they are coming out with a new publication in the spring called 'Marie'.Keeping my fingers 'crossed'!
xxoo Denise
I love all your "Marie" creations. She was not someone I knew a lot about either. Just the usual "let them eat cake" remark and also how she died! But somehow you've brought her to life and made me want to know more about her.
I know exactly what you mean. She has besotted all of us. I started by reading Abundance and that was it. I was hooked. I had to read her biography which was very closely related to the Move Marie Antoinette.
I have thrown birthday parties completely bedecked with Marie Antoinette decor that I painstakingly handmade. I have a Marie Antoinette Doll with ejectable head and a change of clothes for the Bastille. I enjoyed seeing all of your lovely Marie Inspired creations. Someone recently sent me a handmade Marie Fairy doll.
Wow, you really did get into it didn't you....LOL....I tried to watch your slide show, but it wouldn't come up....I have been having trouble, my flash isn't working, and I have tried everything....I think I will need to take it in to get it checked.... but this was a very interesting post..... judy
Post a Comment