Friday, February 15, 2008

Little hands

I was thinking that I really wanted to write about my two sons yesterday and why I love them so.

The funny thing is I was looking for a book I'd lost today and in doing so, I found an old journal I'd kept ten or eleven years ago. I turned right to this page. I had to share. :)

July 21,1997

"I was thankful for Kyle and Kevin today as we stood in line to register for Vacation Bible School.
Kyle held on tightly to my hand tentatively looking around. I sensed his anxiety and thought about how much alike we are.
Kevin held tightly to my other hand, a little more eager, but still holding on...
It feels so good to hold their little hands knowing that in just a very few years...or moments...this time will pass and holding mom's hand will be babyish and uncool.
How sweet to be able to connect to them still in trust, in need, in love, just by the simple act of holding hands."

Goodness, how that time did fly by..and no more hand holding for sure. I do know they still need and love me though, but I do miss those little hands.

Kyle is my oldest at 18. I can't believe he's that old already. He looked like the gerber baby when he was an infant and old ladies would just ooohhh and ahhhh over him at grocery stores. He used to love Elvis songs and country music...at two years old, if he was in the backseat, he'd say, "Play Joe Diffy music," or "I wanna hear Elvis." Funny thing is, I'm not a country music lover at all...not sure where he picked that up...of course, now he likes rap and rock.

At times as a toddler, he was such a handful. He had many a temper tantrum and I never thought he'd outgrow that stage. He also was a devil in cubscouts when his dad and I were the cubscout leaders. All the other boys would be so well behaved, and Kyle would go over and turn out the lights or do the oppposite of what we wanted him to do! I guess he didn't like sharing us so much or he just wanted to be sure we noticed him more! LOL

He's always been a good student in school, never had one note from a teacher or one bad word. He did climb a tree once he was told not to climb, fell and broke his arm, but that's the worse thing I can honestly think of that he did...other than fight with his younger brother and drive me crazy at times with the sibling rivalry.

Now at 18, he's going to college, runs his own very successful online business, and is turning into his own person. He wants to teach college like his dad someday and get his doctorate in Accounting. He's gotten all A's so far and studies hard. He's a quiet kind of guy, but as he's told me, he's not shy, just an introvert(sound familiar?). I love the fact that he's a modest guy too...he doesn't brag about himself or act macho.

Kevin is 16, just starting to look at colleges. I just can't say enough good things about him. He's extremely smart, kind hearted, talented, creative, easy going, and just a good kid too. I don't think he's ever done one thing to disappoint me or his dad.

I guess I just wanted to take a moment and write this all down so that it's recorded and in ten years from now, I can look back and reread it as well.

Now if they will both only give me a granddaughter someday!!!




Isn't this name graphic pretty? Sara of Graphics Pretty made if for me. She has some new free graphics you can download now too. Be sure to check her blog out!

5 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

YOur boys sound GREAT..I love my kids too.
Don't count on a grand daughter..I have SIX grand SONS
waaahh

but you'll love them..

I love Sara's (Graphic Pretties) work too..
Deena

GraceBeading said...

Awwww, such sweetness in those little hands and hearts. I have one grown son, he's a wonderful young man. he amazes me everyday just because. He has blessed me with a granddaughter and a grandson and the wonder continues in them. It is such a joy to be able to watch in all unfold.

Shop girl said...

Memories are our gifts to ourselves, and like you my children bring me such joy.
I loved the music and your sharing was just beautiful.
remembering, Mary

Janet said...

Your sons sound like terrific guys. I love journals for just the reason you experienced....that they can transport us back to a specific time or feeling and we can re-live it all again.

BailiwickStudio said...

Our kids grow up so fast! I like to look back at the baby books I kept and see those sweet faces and tiny hands and feet. Now my kids are 23 and 20, and there's a son-in-law and a 2-year in the picture as well, and another grandbaby on the way. I do hope you get that granddaughter one day! ::Jill

Followers