Sunday, July 01, 2007

Sulamith Wulfing




I just discovered her...have you seen her work before? Here's a little about her life that I found today.

Born January 11, 1901 in Elberfeld Germany to Theosophist parents Karl and Hedwig Wülfing, as a child Sulamith had visions of angels, fairies, gnomes, and nature spirits. She first began drawing these creatures at the age of four. The visions continued throughout her life, and directly inspired her paintings.

Sulamith Wülfing graduated from the Art College in Wuppertal in 1921, and in 1932 married her husband, Otto Schulze, a professor at the Art College. Together, they created the Sulamith Wülfing Verlag (publishing house). During World War II, the industrial area around Wuppertal became a bombing target, and Wülfing's house was destroyed, along with many of her paintings.

Her family became separated during the war, when she received a false report of her husband's death on the Russian front and fled to France with her only child; they were later reunited. Wülfing considered the religious teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti her spiritual mentor and guide, and believed his influence helped her through difficult times. Wülfing died in 1989 at the age of 88.


As soon as I saw one of her works I had to see more. I'm totally captivated by her work. Here are a few that spoke to me, thought I would share. I immediately went to Amazon and bought some of her illustrated cards.










Here she is pictured at a young age in 1928. She is so ethereal like her work, isn't she?



I guess since I've never formally studied art, she has escaped me all this time. I have always loved this type of artistry...soulful and mysterious. Here is a quote of hers I found online as well...she was obviously a lover of faeries,angels,and gnomes...I feel a kinship to her for sure!!!


My drawings are a visual representation of my deepest feelings - pleasure, fear, sorrow, happiness, humor. And, to people attuned to my compositions, they may well be mirrors of their own experiences.

It is because of this that I have left the explanation of the drawings completely to the viewer, so that they are not bound by my interpretation of what each picture should be.

For me it is not a matter of creating illustrations to fit nursery rhyme themes. My ideas come to me from many sources, and in such harmony with my personal experiences that I can turn them into these fairy compositions.

My Angels are my consolers, leaders, companions, guards. And dwarfs often show me the small ironies and other things to make me smile even in life's most awesome events.

Sulamith Wülfing


Fun to learn about her today!


5 comments:

Carole Burant said...

I had never heard of this artist but I'm so glad you've brought her to my attention! Her paintings are fabulous and so pleasing to me since I truly believe in faeries and such:-) Her life story is quite fascinating but how very sad that a lot of her work was destroyed during the war. I'm off to find out more about her:-) xox

Janet said...

Yes, I've heard of her!! In fact a couple of years ago at Christmas my daughter gave me a book of some of Sulamith Wulfing's work. I love her work too. Very beautiful, mystical, and ethereal.

Beth said...

I have never heard of her, but I think I have seen some of her prints,,very pretty!!! I also love your art, the bookmark is incredible and so is the dominoe necklace, I Love making Jewelry too!

Werna Gail said...

What an interesting post, and I love her work. Have you seen the book called Fairyopolis A Flower Fairies Journal or Arthur Spiderwicks Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You? My daughter gave me both of these books and I can't get enough of them.

Rella said...

I am here visiting you....reading old posts and getting to know you and I see things that we share...time alone...faeries..and then I see you are featuring one of my all time favorite artists...Sulamith!!!!!!! Well, my new kindred spirit friend...I cannot wait to see what else I glean that rings true to my heart as I venture farther back in your story.

xo Rella

Followers