Monday, April 14, 2008

Seeing is believing



I used to have the best eyesight. I would always help my grandmothers thread their needles or get splinters out of my son's little hands.

No more...those days are over and I am forever losing my glasses or breaking my glasses! My problem is, I can't seem to wear contacts(tried three times at the Opthos) and I need my regular glasses as well as reading glasses for the computer. Consequently, I have a lot of glasses! I try to keep a pair in every room. The other day I found this pair.



It was missing one of it's sides, and there it was on the floor. I was about to throw it out, but figured, I might find a use for it, so I threw it on my art table.

This weekend I needed a change from working on my fashion theater, so I decided to help a little faerie find a new home. I had found an empty teacup at an antique store...shaped like a tulip in AQUA...my favorite color these days, so I bought it...just perfect for her. Then as I was looking over my art table, trying to see what else I could use, I spotted that eyeglass wire. I had some pretty aqua ribbon so I wrapped it around the wire and it made a great stem for my gorgeous old pink millinery flower.


I added a butterfly and rhinestone antennae.

Made my little Faerie girl(who had been patiently waiting in the back of my mind all this time) and placed her inside with some other old and new flowers in front of her and feathers behind. Not sure you can see, but there are tiny little beaded ones too...just love those. Click to enlarge and you might be able to spot them.


She told me she wanted to sell her flowers, so I told her fine, I'd make her a sign too.



See, never throw out anything...and live in clutter like I do. LOL
Be sure to buy some Faerie flowers today!!!

9 comments:

Janet said...

Now that is just about the cutest thing I've seen today! Only you would think to use that side piece to make a flower stem!! You're just too clever. And I'll be sure to buy some fairie flowers today.

PS - I've been seeing an ad for new contacts that are good for people who need reading glasses, too. They say you can see near, far, and in between with them. I might check into them as I wore contacts for many years and loved them.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet! Love your little tea cup fairy.
XOXO
Jillian

Celestina Marie said...

Oh how darling is your new creation. WOW I love it. It just shows you there is a new use for everything. Thank you for adding me to your blog. I did the same last night. See you again soon.
hugs,
Celestina,
La Rea Rose

Sandra Evertson said...

Oh, she is Gorgeous! Love her beautifully colored wings!
Sandra Evertson

Unknown said...

How perfect!! And what a darling little fairy girl. She is toooooo sweet! You did a beautiful job! I am all about upcycling, and that vintage tea cup and eyeglass bit made such a wonderful contribution to your project!

Julie H said...

Adorable! And I do like the way you told the tale.

Sherry said...

Okay Betzie, this is just TOO cute!!! You are wonderful with reuse and recycle!!!

I'm with you on the glasses...I'm wearing mine more and more (and more). And I put them down and can't remember where..so I've started buying the magnifyer glasses from the dollar store and leaving them scattered about...

Ms Dragonfly said...

i love faeries!!

Werna Gail said...

Of course I want to buy some Fairy flowers....she is just toooo cute.
Have you ever made a brooch out of the glass part of old glasses? It is easy and fun. BE BLESSED :-)

Followers