
We all had to memorize a poem and recite it in front of the class. I chose a poem from an A.A. Milne book..called, "Are You a Good Little Girl, Jane?" I can still recite part of it...just a silly nilly poem, but it was the beginning of my love for poetry.
Did you save any of your childhood books? I only saved a few of mine, and most of them are poetry books.

This one was my absolute favorite: A CHILD'S GARDEN OF VERSES by Robert Louis Stevenson. My all time favorite two poems as a child were in that book: THE SWING and THE LAND OF COUNTERPANE but he wrote so many I just loved and read over and over.
Next I loved Kate Greenaway, but mainly her illustrations. Here it is with my sweet French Doll all ready for Easter in her precious bonnet! The colors all go so well together, I have it sitting on her lap for display.

Then I just adored THE BIG GOLDEN BOOK OF POETRY...seen here with one my teddies I made about twelve years ago.

WYNKEN,BLYKEN,AND NOD was written by Eugene Fields...another wonder of a poet. I also have another one of his books that I'll have to share another day. He must have been such a sensitive man with a fantastic imagination.

Who can forget THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT? Such magical illustrations that are timeless.

Lastly, a book my mom gave me at the age of seven...one without pictures, so I didn't really grow to love it until a few years later. It is filled with all kinds of poems and I pick it up and am taken back as though I'm in a time machine. It's called THE FAMILY BOOK OF BEST BELOVED POEMS.

I'll close with just a little bit of one of the poems I still have bookmarked that I love.
LOVE
I love you ,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.
I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself
But for what
You are making of me.
I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.
I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple;
Out of the works
Of every day
Not a reproach
But a song.
I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good,
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
You have done it
WIthout a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign,
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means
After all.
-Roy Croft
Thanks for reading and for being my friends in blogland.
HAPPY EASTER!!!!
16 comments:
Betzie, you always present your posts in such a lovely way. Your photos of the dolls and your books are all just so pretty.
I have saved several of my school books but have none of my other books from when I was a child.
Poetry was not, and still is not (!!!) one of my favorite things but every once in awhile one will really resonate with me. The one you have here is like that. Just beautiful.
Thank you for putting so much time and effort into your blog and for always making it a wonderful place to visit.
Such a lovely post -- of well loved memory! I love how you have displayed the books for the photographs -- and I hope you keep them this way all the time!!
I have only a few of my books from childhood -- my "Little Women" is one. One of my Nancy Drew's is the other, and yet I had so many books I loved as a child. No idea what my mother did with those.
I've never been a fan of poetry, though I would read it now and enjoy it more than I did as a child.
It's funny how teachers can lead us places...your teacher gave you poetry. I had a teacher who made poetry so dull that I know it was this that made me turn up my nose.
Books of verse as I have discovered as an adult can be very soothing to the soul.
Beautiful post!
Your porcelain dolls are Gorgeous! Isn't it just too much fun to photograph them?!
Happy Easter to you and yours!
Sandra Evertson
This is a lovely post! I especially like children's poetry, and a standard baby gift from me is a book of poems and nursery rhymes. ::Jill
Betzie!
This post is beautiful. Your photos, words, lovely dolls, and especially your treasured books are amazing. I too love poetry. The poem you posted brought tears to my eyes. The wonderful transformative power of love. The best kind of love that is given freely and unconditionally is what we all need to change us and bring out the best in us. I will remeber this poem for ever. Thank you!
I wish you a blessed and wonderful Easter!
Nancy
Hi Betzie! I had to come back and tell you how profoundly your post touched me today. I actually have put a link to your post from my latest post. You have to scroll down to find it. Thank you again, for sharing the beautiful poem!!
Hugs! Nancy
O.K. the last comment but I can't find an email for you. I also realized I hadn't added you to my links. That is taken care of now.
:D
Nancy
I do love poetry and am familiar with the poem you provided for us today. Sorry but I don't remember any of my early school years, doe this mean I'm antique? Your doll collection is exceptional.
What beautiful photographs, thank you. I am enjoying introducing my tiny neice (almost two) to the bookd I loved when I was little. She is so careful with them as if she senses the 35 years they have been waiting for her.
Hello, Betzie. Thank you very much for your kind comment on my blog.
Your dolls are so beautiful- I'm always fascinated by antique doll's face.
I enjoyed your blog very much and will be back for more. Happy Easter!
Oh, your beautiful books!! I have most of mine... Aren't they treasures?? Beautiful poem!!! ;)
Your pictures are always so pleasant to look at, the way you enclude antiques, I love the teacup
I'm also a fan of poetry. I have one Golden Book about kittens, it was always my favorite.
And yes, He Is Risen, indeed!
Have a BLESSED and Happy Easter.
I learned the Owl and the Pussycat when I was five and have never forgotten it :)
I find it very strange that I can remember all the songs and poetry
of my childhood. And all the music that was playing on the radio or my records. But for the life of me, I can forget why I just went into a room.
Your blog is lovely, the pictures, the books, just every thing...I will be back! Mary
We did it Betzie! Lady Love Squared was built not only by love and on shoulders of friendship, she was built largely in part because of YOU. 182 artists created our doll. Wow. Mind boggling isn't it? I'm so very proud of us for coming together in such a profound and BEAUTIFUL way. I'm happy to call you friend. :) xo, Monica
I love ALL your old toys and books
I have
When we were very Young
and that exact
Kate Greenway book
woohoo
deena
Post a Comment