Monday, August 18, 2008

Going buggy



Bug Hunt

Going on a bug hunt

Going to find some bugs.

Look in every corner.

Peek under all the rugs.



Going on a bug hunt

Going to get my fill

Of dragonflies in ponds

Or ants upon a hill.



Going on a bug hunt

I'm sure to find a fly.

Mosquitoes and beetles,

A pretty butterfly.




Going on a bug hunt

Going to look at night

I'll surely find a moth

Circling around a light.



Going on a bug hunt

Looking up a tree

Searching in a flower

I'll find a honeybee.



Going on a bug hunt

We'll look here and there.

Up and down, all around

Bugs are everywhere!



When I was little, I loved bugs. I mean I would go outside and have the most fun time in the world, watching bugs, feeding bugs, and collecting bugs.

My favorites were ants and butterflies.


I also loved lightening bugs and feeding spiders. I guess some people might think this was weird, but I loved taking a little gnat or some other little bug I found and putting it in a spider's web. I'd watch how the spider would attack it and eat it or spin it's web around it! UGH I can't imagine doing that now, but it was so interesting to me back then.



And then there were those magnificent Praying Mantids.



I would catch those and observe them in jars or in an aquarium for a few days. I'd feed them and then I'd let them go. My mom never seemed to mind. I guess I should have been an entomologist, but I outgrew my love for bugs, other than butterflies.


While sitting outside on our dock the other day, I felt eyes on me. I looked around and besides the eyes of my dogs, I saw a Praying Mantis sitting in the flower pot next to me just staring at me like I was an alien. It was obviously hunting for it's next meal. Aren't they just the most fascinating insect?

They are very useful and eat a lot of annoying and pesty bugs. After they mate, the females lays her eggs in this frothy substance that also comes out of her. It hardens and oh my, it was like finding gold when I would discover one of these nests on a bush or branch of a tree. I'd love watching them all hatch out like little soldiers! Tiny tiny miniatures of what they look like as an adult.

Funny thing is when I was in college I made a sensory board for one of my professors(it was an assignment for my early childhood teaching class)...I had happened upon a Praying Mantis eggcase and added it to my board. Imagine her surprise one morning when she found little bitty praying mantids running all over her desk! I'm not sure she felt they were very useful....



With all my bug pics to inspire me, I've been making a few of my own buggy creations.

I'll share those in my next post.




Also I want to thank Janetof Lavendar Loft for this wonderful award I received this week!!!
She is one of the nicest bloggers I know. THANKS JANET!!!
Hope we can be blogging friends forever! :)

3 comments:

Janet said...

Now this is a new side of you! I know I'm buggy but not in the same way!!

OK, I have to 'fess up. I may not be as nice as you think! When I was a kid I used to pin grasshoppers to a board and paint their legs with fingernail polish! Don't ask me why! I don't know! It seems very cruel now but at the time I just thought it was fascinating to see them with bright colored legs.

Sherry said...

Betzie, we WERE on a bug roll this week, weren't we?!? You were looking and I wasn't...but the bugs found me anyway. I'll take bugs anyday as long as they aren't mosquitoes!!! Those things LOVE me way too much!!!

As for your childhood delights...I see it this way. You were a child filled with curiosity and you wanted to see how things worked...I would guess it wasn't just with nature. The natural curiosity of childhood is amazing and somehow we lose a lot of that as I we grow older.

Some things are "good" to lose, others aren't...and remember there is a huge difference between curiosity and cruelty!! I don't ever see you as having been the latter!!

Jo James said...

I did that same thing with the praying mantis nest, only it wasn't a teacher's desk but my undies drawer when I was a little kid. We came home one night and the world was tinted green; the little buggies had all congregated in the light fixture!

Followers