Saturday, August 23, 2008

Beast and Beauty




A BUG

I saw a bug
with twenty feet

Go crawling up
and down the street.



And wondered if
he stubbed ONE toe

If he would ever
really know.

-Aileen Fisher



Used a few old metal buttons, beads, some Swarovski crystals, findings, and a pic of one of my chinahead dolls for her face. I thought her eyes looked kind of buggy there.

She has a pin back so she can be worn as a brooch or hung up on a Halloween web.



"Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne


I've always loved that quote. I made this little butterfly out of polymer clay with the wings made from wire and silk rose petals that I painted. Her antannae are Swarovski crytal flowers and she also has S. crystals on her body...just to add a touch of glamour.
The tricky part was getting those wings to attach to the wire. I decoupaged them to add some stiffness and that did the trick.
Fun to make but not something I'd want to make a lot of...so she will have to be a one of a kind butterfly for sure.

6 comments:

Sherry said...

Beautiful "bugs" Betzie -- one whimsical, one realistic....and I love that quote by Hawthorne...and I know it to be "true"!!! ♥

Janet said...

Betzie, you are so creative!! I love your bug. And the butterfly is so pretty. The wings look iridescent....love them!! Who knew bugs could be so beautiful!

SweetAnnee said...

siOh those are the two cutest bugs I have seen!!!
I love bugs!
deena

BailiwickStudio said...

I really hate bugs, but I have to say your little bug is the most charming one I've ever seen! I wish all bugs were as cute! ::Jill

Julie H said...

What an amazing bug - love it! So much character and so many wonderful bits.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Betzie!
So nice to meet you. Thank you for visiting me. Your BUGS are adorable!
Penny

Followers