Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Trick or Treat




These were my first trick or treaters today!

I used to decorate a ton for Halloween...one year we had a big party and I brought in a huge tree branch..covered it with spider webs and ornaments...made green punch and everyone came in costume. It was a lot of fun. Now my sons are older..this was the first year my youngest son didn't go trick or treating. Kind of sad. He gave out candy this year, but we got very few kids..not sure why. Kind of a bummer...I like seeing the little ones all dressed up. I had so much fun with my boys when they were little..I'd dress up too. When I taught Kindergarten I let the kids come to school dressed up...oh what excitement! Monsters, ghosts, Cinderellas, Batmen, Angels, you name it came to my class. We'd have a parade and PARTY!!! Some of the other teachers wouldn't do anything that day, but I enjoyed it as much as the kids. Yeah, they got wild, but it was only short lived and the next day it was back to basics.

I think I'll decorate a lot for Christmas this year and start early. If I start too late, I lose steam now, and then it's time to put the stuff away. At least my sons are still home with me...
I feel so blessed to have them here. My one son has started college, but commutes to the University in town. He could have stayed in a dorm, but he really wanted to stay home, which was fine with us. He's kind of a quiet guy...and not into drinking or partying. He studies hard and is doing fantastic grade wise. I don't see why some people make such a big deal about sending their kids off to Dorm life...I went, and yeah, I had fun and made friends...but I only kept one of those friends over the years. It didn't really make me less shy to live in a dorm. I just hate when people seem to feel that everyone should be an extrovert. My dad is like that...even now at age 88...he thinks Kyle should be more outgoing and do this and that...as though it will make him a better person or he'll be more "normal". Of course, if he was a wild child and got drunk and did drugs he wouldn't like that either! I think that's one thing I try to do with my boys..to accept them as they are and the thing is, I feel soooo lucky and blessed with both of them. I won't list the million reasons why here...but I am bubbling with pride and just am very thankful.

Just hope they both live to be an old age and are happy in life!!!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Such a good post. I'm with you on letting everyone be who they are. If we were all alike think how boring it would be! I'm sure your sons are both great guys, each in their own way.

As for doing Christmas decorating, I think I'm going to do mine early this year, too. Last year I did absolutely nothing! But my son will be here from Alaska so I want to have the house looking cheery and inviting.

Werna Gail said...

Seems as thou early Christmas decorating is in the air, as this is my plan also.
How in the world did you ever get all three of the dogs to sit so still like that, how cute, that would make a great calendar print.
You are blessed to have such great sons.

Followers