
Had fun making these tags, which seem so popular these days. I didn't make the them smell like cinnamon or vanilla, as I've seen others do, but would like to try that too.Here's a recipe I found telling how to make those, which I hope to try soon. They must smell really good. If you make some, let me know!!!
You will need, some instant coffee, some vanilla extract and some cinnamon.
To mix your primitive solution take 1 cup of very hot water. 4 heaping TBS of instant coffee and 4 TBS of vanilla extract. I always like to put a couple of sprinkles of cinnamon in the mix just for good measure, but it is optional. Now, with a spoon, mix up the ingredients well. I find this mix a dark enough mixture for my tastes, but do a test. Dip a piece of card stock or manilla tag into the mix and see if its dark enough for you. If its not, just add some more instant coffee.
Dip your manilla tags into the solution ( if you cant find manilla tags, simply cut some cardstock into tag shapes, generally they are 4 by 2 1/2. Just use a ruler to measure). I usually leave my tags in about 30 min. Then fish them out and lay them on some paper towels to drain and dry.
While your tags are drying, print off your clip art if that is what you are plaining to use and cut out your clip art pictures.
Once your tags are dry, squeeze some modge podge into a foam plate and with a brush ( I use those little black foam brushes, they are inexpensive and you can throw them away when you are through), brush some of the modge podge glue on the wrong side ( the side without the picture) of your clip art. Center in on your tag, and glue in place. Modge Podge dries fairly quickly, so just let it sit for two or three minutes. Take your foam brush and brush a coat of modge podge over the entire front of the tag. This will hold your clip art in place and also help the front of your tags from getting scratched up while in use.
And thats it...you've made some primitive hang tags!
*******************************************************************************
To make mine, I first painted water color paper with gesso and lots of pinks, turquoise, purples, and glitter. I couldn't repeat it again, but I sure did love the result. I didn't know what to use it for and then I thought of TAGS for my wax faeries. So, I added some words that I made up on the computer, and attached a faerie, and sprayed with Krylon's Acrylic spray. Tied them on with some ribbon and made a few with clasps so they could be a necklace or just part of the tag or an ornament to hang. I think I like the bird one best. I found that pretty carved bird pendant at Fire Mountain Gems, used a new bird stamp I'd bought on lilac vellum, plus added the mini scrabble tiles. Try these if you haven't, lots of fun!!!!


2 comments:
Oh Betzie, your tags are absolutely beautiful!!! I've never attempted to make tags although I do love making ATCs to trade. Thank you so much for sharing how to make the scented tags, so very interestign! You are so artistic my friend, such beautiful art you make!! xox
These are really nice! I am so glad you posted the tutorial with it as well - I had never thought of scented tags!
Post a Comment