Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Birds




I started on a fabric collage for the Three Muses Challenge this week, but didn't have the right color thread so it isn't finished. I want to do some stitching around it, but have to buy some deep red thread.



I honestly forgot the theme was "Birds of a Feather"....but I guess this will do. I love birds, always have, used to keep a bird journal as a little girl...I'd watch them and record notes on each one. I loved learning their songs and listening for them too. Always was finding nests and eggs or baby birds...drove my mom crazy.



Now I see myself as that momma bird letting my babies fly away, but always hoping they fly home!




\




Love the center of this flower...it's an old button with velvet and tiny rhinestones around it...shank back.


I used fabric from JoAnne's, the red paper was old wallpaper from a French wallpaper book I found, the roof of the house was a Tim Holtz embellishment corner, the glass I decoupaged with music fabric from WalMart(now it doesn't carry fabric here...boo hoo). Flowers I think came from Paper Whimsy, buttons, feather from my collection, and the little poem came from an old Farmer's Almanac. Also, tried some angelina fibers for the first time...lots of fun and they just stick out here and there, but I like the effect...kind of thought it looked like nesting material.

Happy bird watching!!

Betzie~

29 comments:

Yvonne said...

STUNNING piece, Betsy!

Faye said...

Wow, Betzie, this is truly a masterpiece! Your detail work is fantastic. So beautiful.

Lucy - By the Hill said...

What a gorgeous piece Betzie! What patience and talent you have! I love it, and thanks for the closeups, love that button !!!

Gayle Page-Robak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your art piece is absolutely beautiful, Betzie...so gorgeous. Love all the lovely embellishments. Hugs, Gayle.

Unknown said...

wow !!!! wonderful piece...so much detail and beautiful!!!

Lori Saul said...

Beautiful fabric collage Betzie- absolutely wonderful mix of elements- I love this!

Sandy said...

OMG this is really lovely.
Gorgeous work.

Ozstuff said...

Hi Betzie - I live on the other side of the world but I am always bemoaning the fact that there are no small fabric stores or even large department stores that sell fabrics so I know how you feel about not being able to buy what you want when you want it. All we have now are the superstores which are more like warehouses with no individual service.
The theme was "birds of a feather" but that just means anything to do with birds, not necessarily matching ones or pairs or anything like that. (No rules at the Muses!!).
Your artwork is superb. It is so beautifully crafted and rich in colour. The closeups are amazing and the flower is exquisite. I so admire you for the work you have put into your project.
A big standing ovation from me!!
Cheers from Marie (aka Ozstuff).

LivArtNow said...

Beautiful piece!! love the little birdhouse and the gorgeous lace!!

Linda

LiLi M. said...

I love your fabric collage or should I say mixed media art piece? I think your use of colors is amazing!

indybev said...

Thanks, Betzie, for sharing the process of creating this piece, and for the close-ups of the tiny details. It's perfection! You are truly an artist with the needle.

http://truutske.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful, so precious!
Love really this fabric art!!

johanna said...

so many wonderful details on your collage!!

Diane said...

This is beautiful, Betzie!! I love fabric collages, and I think that's really cute what you used to do when you were younger :)

Jester said...

This is gorgeous, Betzie. A real inspiration!

the wild raspberry said...

beautiful....
love how you made the little house. very creative!!

WrightStuff said...

Wow, this must have taken ages - so much effort and detail and sooo pretty! I love reading how folk create their pieces.

Astrid Maclean said...

This is such a pretty piece Betzie, absolutely gorgeous!!

Ellen said...

this is so gorgeous, love all the different materials , the texture the colours. just perfect!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fantastic fabric collage. Love all the details.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Betzie,
Oh I missed you!! Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment.

I just adore your collage. The colors and details are awesome. Everything you touch turns out amazing.
I had to go and visit all your posts and love everything I missed. Love the insights from your son's piano lesson days. I can just see you sitting there pretending to be reading or writing. This is something I would do. My son played the trumpet so waiting during the lessons were rather loud! LOL!!

My hubby also was interested in birds growing up and still it. Beautiful hobby. I like to paint them!

Great catching up with your posts and lovely blog. Hope you have a great rest of the week and weekend.
Hugs to you, Celestina Marie

LW said...

What a lovely piece of artwork…
And wonderful words about being a mom letting her birds fly free…

Although I must admit I still tether a wee bit…

Louise

Rosie Rowe said...

What a beautiful collage Betzie - I love all the elements you have used!

Elizabeth Golden said...

This is so soft and pretty. I love the whole feel to it. Thanks for sharing the close ups. Absolutely stunning!

Janet said...

You always make the most beautiful pieces. And that button is just great. I think I have a couple like that!

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Betzie~This piece is so special. You find the perfect embellishments, the birdhouse roof for one. I'd love to go with you when you're hunting for these little treasures.

How I adore our little feathered friends. My favorite pastime come warmer weather is watching the birds in my backyard. My neighbor friend has several feeders. I asked her how long did it take to get birdies to visit after a feeder is hung. Thinking she'd reply weeks or even months, I had no clue. She laughed and said..."as soon as they see it they'll fly in."
Well, needless to say, hubby and I put up our first feeder and the rest is bird watching history.

My other pastime until summer arrives, is eating black licorice Crows...that's a whole different kind of bird,lol.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

AliMayes said...

Oh Betzie, this is fabulous - I love all the little details and the different materials !

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Betzie, you are absolutely amazing! This is INCREDIBLE! You are just so, so, SO talented.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Followers