Monday, September 07, 2009

Time to grow


My youngest son turned 18 yesterday.
Time truly does fly...










He has always been such an easy child...never needed to ever remind him to do his homework or practice his piano.


He'd entertain himself for hours as a kid playing legos with his best friend, Dev. I can't even remember him having a temper tantrum as a two year old! At the age of 12, his appendix burst and yet no one knew because he hardly complained of pain! It took four doctors to figure it out, and luckily his body walled off the toxins in a cystlike mass. They wouldn't operate for fear of it breaking, so I had to take him home from the hospital at Dupont in Delaware, and he was on a pic line...peripherally inserted central catheter...it was such a scary time for me...finally he had it removed a month or so later. The doctor said he'd never seen such a mess. I prayed so hard during that time, and I know God heard me..will never forget.

Now he is in college, and I know it's his time to become his own person. Hard...so so hard to let him go...I am praying hard again that he'll stay safe, well, and happy...




I hear his little boy's voice at night sometimes saying, "Check on me Mom!!!" He'd get ready for bed along with his big brother, and I'd always go in and read them a story, say prayers, and say our usual things to close the day...sigh...how could he be 18 already???





I wonder if Mother birds cry when their babies fly away??? Do you think???




I found this pumpkin vine growing outside our backyard...just getting stronger everyday...it's amazing how the flowers open during the morning, but close when the afternoon sun hits. It seemed to appear out of nowhere...so hoping for a pumpkin in October!!







New growth, new adventures, new found freedom...




12 comments:

LW said...

Happy Birthday to your son…
The appendix story is amazing and yes God did hear you.

I know how your are feeling. I too turn the corners of empty rooms.
I don’t think birds cry they just fill the nest again…
In fact, I just said to my dh that we should fill the nest again, he just gave me one of those you
got to be kidding looks.

But boy do I miss my kids…

Louise

Anonymous said...

Hello Betzie. Seems like you have three celebrations in your home. The marriage of your parents, your father's birthday (wow!), and your son's.

You know, sometimes . . . maybe one day, I would like to experience what it's like too for Moms :-)

Oh, and the three things that your dad lives by may be simple but very very true and important - but most likely neglected too. As how you described him, I think he is not just one great dad but husband too. How sweet is that after all these years :-) Gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling inside (I know mine did when I read that last paragraph :-) )

Li

LiLi M. said...

There is a lot of partying going on in your family Betzie first your father now your son. Congrats to him with his birthday and to you for being his mother. Time flies when you are having fun, but with kids it goes a little too fast in my opinion. It was only yesterday that I (age 6) was telling the neighbor kids that our neighbors had children, but the youngest was 12 already...12!! I was totally amazed about such 'old' kids and now my youngest is 13 and your youngest is 18...it's just unbelievable. I recommend just to enjoy the party ;-)!

Fete et Fleur said...

Happy Birthday to your Son. This post brought tears to my eyes. Letting go is never easy.

Hugs!
Nancy

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hello Betzie,So glad you stoped by.
Your son is a fine looking young man.Happy birthday to him.Yes its hard when they leave the nest.But that is the way it should be.Don't like ,but OK whats next.You'll do OK Betzie...
Be on the look out for my next post.I'm having a givaway.I hope to post tomorrow.Keep your fingers cross...LOL.Hugs Betz...Marie Antionette

Janet said...

I'm very late but I hope your son had a happy birthday. It's so hard when the youngest one leaves the nest. But you can also look at it as a time for you to explore and try new things and grow. And I'm sure your son will always return to the nest even if it's just for a visit. He'll be there to "check on Mom"....

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hello Betzs,I came back by to tell you that I am having a giveaway,so come back by.Hugs Marie

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Betzie, Oh my your post just brought me to tears. Congrats to your son on turning the big 18 years old with the whole world at his feet!! I feel another bond with you as reading about your son, it sounds exactly how our son was growing. God was certainly with you during the time of the burst appendix.
I will pray too that his college years go well and he stay happy and healthy. What a handsome young man. I know you are very proud of him. Are you an empty nest now? I understand that too well!! LOL

Thank you for stopping by and your sweet comments. You always are so encouraging and thank you for that.

Love to you, Celestina Marie

Lori said...

Betzie
This mama bird is still crying three years later when her son moved 1800 miles from home!!! Such a handsome and sweet young man! Lori

Regina said...

They grow up so fast. My son just turned teenager.:).
Happy Pink Saturday
and a lovely day.

Mary Bergfeld said...

It is always hard to let them go. It's made easier if you think of the adult they will become. Hugs...Mary

Laume said...

Your "Grow" sign is cute. I once saw a garden sign that said "Grow, dammit!" I laughed, I've thought that same sentiment so often.

Followers