Monday, February 23, 2009

ABC BOOK IDEA....do you want to play too??



Okay, I woke up this morning and out of the blue, I found this old book collecting dust.

I remembered buying it a few years ago and as I looked through it, I saw the reason why. It has several ABC pages with adorable illustrations and rhymes.

I've always loved old alphabets and ABC things.
Like old alphabet plates...I only own this one...not one of the highly collectible ones, but I still love it.

BUT, what I really LOVE are old ABC children's books...not all that easy to find, but here's one I discovered in an antique shop about to go out of business. It is a treasure of mine because it's one of the old linen books.

Here's a pic of one of the pages inside.



I suppose ABC's are endearing to me because I used to teach Kindergarten and First Grade.



I was thinking, how much fun it might be to make an AlteReD CHILD's ABC BOOK...No doubt it has been done before, but I was wondering if anyone out there might want to join me.


NO rules...just a book of your own making using the alphabet.... and one geared for a young child.




I was thinking we could share them around May 1st, which would give us plenty of time to procrastinate!!! Then, I'd link anyone's blog here for others to find.

So if you are interested, all you need to do is sign this post and let me know the last day of April if you have a book to share! If you change your mind, don't have time, lose interest, that's OKAY...no problem.

It can be any type of book made of anything you want! You could use one from Michael's like this...
Or make one out of fabrics.....

Or you could check out this Somerset Magazine that's full of altered book ideas...so many pretty ones. This would inspire you I'm sure!


I know there are just so many cute baby things out there...like Martha Stewart's pretty quilted felt things...


And I know K&D Co. makes a ton of cutesy stuff....


Just have fun with it...make it OLD looking or new and *sparkly*...

I hope I get a few people to play along...but if not, I'll be back on May 1st to share mine. Not expecting any grandchildren(Oh please no, my boys are only 17 and 19!!!)...but I sure would love to share it one day with mine(years from now...LOL).




Photo courtesy of The Graphics Fairy(see my links on side)...she has a lot of gorgeous Victorian ABC graphics if you are interested...all free to download!

Hope to see you here!!! I need some playmates!!!



13 comments:

Janet said...

I've never done a baby's book.... actually I've never made an entire altered book!!!!....but put me done for a try at this. I need to keep doing new things!

Renee said...

Betzie I would love to play but May 1st would be too soon for me. I am as slow as molasses in January. I am actually doing an altered book right now for my oldest daughter (33).

I have thought of doing this exact thing for my granddaughter though.

xoxoxoxo

Shopgirl said...

Betzie, This sounds like a lot of fun...I would love to join in...you might have to check on me now and then to make sure I am keeping up...It is good to do new things, Janet is right.
I think I was having to much fun on the red carpet...They won't forget me!
Hugs, Mary

LiLi M. said...

This project sounds like a lot of fun. I'm still in doubt though whether to sign up or not, because I have so much unfinished stuff lying around. So I have to think of it a couple of days and I will return here and let you know, but I just wanted you to tell you that this is a great idea! Have a nice day!

Willnnabel said...

Wow, join you and have a chance to procrastinate until May? Hmmm tempting, because, as you may have heard around the blogs, I am the QUEEN of Procrastination! I will most likey spend a few weeks mentioning it, then shuffle some thing and look for item. Then progress to actually telling myself, and everyone in earshot that "I have to get started on this project". That ought to be good for a couple weeks before I really start running around like a rabbit saying "I'm late, I'm late" How long can I procrastinate in signing up? Hmmm

(I really have to look at the calender first, but it sounds like fun, still with this much time....)

Judypatooote said...

I'll jump in.....and it may not be completed, but I'll show what I have completed....it sounds like fun....I may just do mine on the computer....and print it out.....or not.....LOL..... thanks for stopping by my place Betzie.... judy

Judypatooote said...

I have two old abc books, and I had one sitting in a chair with one of my bears, and at Christmas I put a Christmas book with the bear, and now I can't find the other abc book....oh to be organized.....this seems to happen every Christmas, I always seem to loose something..... this may be harder than I thought, but I'll try.... judy

Shopgirl said...

I am glad you liked the idea, now I need to start gathering and thinking....not thinking?
Hugs, Mary

Shopgirl said...

Did I tell you that I love your blog background. I need to start searching for one.
xo Mary

BailiwickStudio said...

I've never actually made an altered book, but it really seems right up my alley. I love books, I love letters, I love designing things... hmmmm. I really should do this! So, let me say that I will give it my best attempt, and hopefully I'll be back on May 1st to show a finished product. And you're right - it would be just the thing to give to my grandsons! ::Jill

CathWren said...

It's been a while since I've been out and about. Love what you've been doing on your blog, the wallpaper is so pretty!

My first ABC book was actually my youngest son's class project (An A B Sea Book). I love ABC Books, but I'm in Orvieto right now, sort of, developing the ideas for my Fall workshop.

I wish I could play . . .

Fifi Flowers said...

Oooooh the good old days... learning out ABCs... and we cannot forget the hours of singing the ABC song!
A b C... now I know my A B Cs... next time won't you sing with me or tell me what you think of me... LOL
GOOD OL' MEMORIES!

Werna Gail said...

This sounds like fun. If I get all of my beads done in time to still do this to I will get back to you.
I sure enjoyed listening to your son play the piano. BEAUTIFUL !

Followers