Wednesday, October 06, 2010

London

I have been remiss at blogging lately. I just don't find the time I guess. I was in London for ten days with my son Kyle. He was accpeted there to attend Grad school at the London School of Economics.

 
I never thought we'd get there....8 hours of flying is a lot for me! Then we had to live through Customs and the TUBE...somehow I survived but it made me feel OLD....We got there at rush hour and it was so crowded....no one looks at each other, no one smiles, everyone is just walking or running up the stairs, even on the elevators....just to get on that tube as soon as possible to get wherever they are going. Then of course you must have your ticket or Oyster card ready to get in and out of there...it took me a few days to catch on but I did figure it all out. Oh another thing....there are very very few fat or chubby people on the tube. It really must keep them all in great shape! I did find myself walking a lot and naturally I wore my CROCS...I must have been the only one there wearing them too. Most wear flat boots or sneakers or pretty shoes...nothing as ugly as my crocs!!! I let that go and decided my comfort was more important than having pretty feet. I did love the fashions though and wished I were at least 20 years younger. My son fit right in being a student....London is made for his age group.

It took us so long to find a "flat" for my son to live for nine months. He did find two flatmates, both girls...and a day before I was to leave, we found a 3 bedroom flat.   London is not cheap...but oh my.....the architecture is to die for....
                                                                  Tower of London
                                   I couldn't stop snapping pics of the doorways and windows!










and I found that the Brits are very polite....also I like how they are very environmental conscious....they charge you in some places for a paper bag and they don't give out gobs of napkins like we do here. I loved their little store called PRET...lots of fresh healthier foods than our fast food places. We ate there a lot.

I went to see Phantom of the Opera by myself....it was in this gorgeous old theater.....just wonderful.
Saw Buckingham Palace..loved the grounds around it and the swans. Went to the Tower of London...
Saw the Cabinet War Rooms, the Eye of London, Westminster Abby...
Buckingham Palace gate
 Look how even the Subway stores are gorgeous! 
My favorite place was a little toy museum I had to walk and walk and WALK to find.
 I wasn't so impressed with Oxford Street....just so so crowded and I felt lost there like a fish out of water. 






Here's an Apple Computer store....I mean, they are artworks in and of themselves!


A few days we sat in the hotel room looking for flats on my son's computer and calling agents.....peak season there for students and everyone had already either found one or was looking like we were....not easy.

I loved the museums and churches....you could spend days and days looking in them.





My son loved the nightlife but I was happy to stay home and rest my feet! 

It was lonely coming home by myself... I pray Kyle is happy there and stays safe.


11 comments:

http://truutske.blogspot.com said...

I love your story and your pictures are a sight for my eyes.Have a nice day. Trudie

LiLi M. said...

Hi Betzie! Love to hear from you again. Wish your son all the luck in the world! Love the photos of London especially those of Pollock's toy museum!
Have a lovely day!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi BEtzie,
Oh I have missed you so much. What an amazing trip you had with your son. Congrats to him for his being accepted to LSE. What an honor for him to live there and study.

Your pics are amazing and how grand you got to see and visit all these wonderful places. You sure look like a doll in the pic and your son is a handsome buy too. I know you are very proud of him and his accomplishment. I will keep him in prayers too.

Your blog looks wonderful for Fall and as always your artistic touch is so inspiring.

Thank you for stopping by, I was so excited to see you. Also, many thanks for your purchase. I will email you with more next.
So glad you are home again. Blessings to you always.
HUGS, Celestina Marie

Celestina Marie said...

Betzie, Me again, I meant to say your son in a handsome guy. My brain is just not working right this morning. LOL
CM

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Betzie, I've been MIA due to Mr. Magpie's surgery and recup, so I was excited to check in and see this great post. Congrats to your son on being accepted to study at that wonderful school! And what fun you had! I adore London. It's one of my top five favorite cities! Isn't it divine? I loved all the doors on the townhouses with their wonderful brass knockers. And how great that you got to see Phantom in London! What a thrill! Sounds like a great trip. Glad you are home safely...

XO,

Sheila :-)

LW said...

Hi Betzie,

Wow, what a trip, and congratulations to your handsome son.
Thanks for posting all those wonderful pictures. I am going to put that toy museum on my must see list when we go to England.

Louise

Werna Gail said...

Betzie, I have missed you around blog land. I love your header.Thanks for taking us to London with you by way of the lovely photos. You are so blessed to get to make a trip like that and to have such a smart and good looking son. I pray he be safe there and reap all of the benefits of going to a school like that.

Shopgirl said...

First I want to say how glad I am that you have posted...and what a wonderful post it is. Your son is a real handsome young man. I hope all his dreams come true. And your photo's are amazing. I would have been like you, taking pictures of everything. What a grand time you must have had. Big Hugs, mary

Sandra Evertson said...

Gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing!

Sandra Evertson

Lori said...

Breath - taking post! i look forward to visiting there in the coming years! i wish your son the very best, what a grand opportunity to study abroad! Take care, i know you miss him! Lori

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Betzie~Looks like we both went MIA when our college boys left.
What a glorious journey that I'm sure you'll never forget. I'm sure in time your feet will, lol.
I hope you're in full swing enjoying the holiday season.
We're making slow progress decking the halls at my home. Hubs cut our Christmas "TREEZILLA"!! down from the backyard this weekend. Turns out what grows outside really appears much smaller then you think, lol. With my college boy home it has put us in a festive mood.
Do you like playing Christmas music while decorating? For me the music welcomes a wonderful sentiment of the season to the air, as does the aromas of baking.

It's good to be back, I hope you get a chance to stop by for a visit.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Followers