Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Buttons & Bows but mostly BUTTONS!





I adore buttons and bows...this is a mixed media collage using

an old piece of cardboard for the backing, paints,vintage wallpaper,

a simple digital collage I made and printed onto photo paper, a rusty bow and vine(Paper Whimsy), old lace scraps, three fabric flowers with steel cut buttons, and

the words torn from an old nursery rhyme book.



I wish I could find more of the rusty bows and vines...have searched everywhere and can't seem to locate any more.



A few more pics to share with lots of buttons and bows...on my Marie Theater I made, I used lots of both.








You see, I'm obsessed with buttons....I hoard them....

in jars....





in cans....



in plastic boxes....





I love them all...



aren't these owl buttons precious?








And these old antique bone buttons...




Love this old portrait button...doesn't it look like Marie?


Then there are the glass buttons...these are pink in person...so pretty!





rhinestone buttons...




Another favorite...







Have you ever made your own buttons? Simple to do...just buy a "cover button kit"(any sewing store), print a design onto cotton fabric(I use Jacquard), cut them out and design your own. Lots of them are sold on etsy...but they are easy to do yourself with any design you make or fabric you have...

12 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Ooh, this is so lovely.
Beautiful artwork.

hugs
Sissie

Judy said...

Wow, what an exquisite entry, Betzie, an amazing collection of buttons, too!

indybev said...

Oh my goodness, Betzie. Your art is beautiful, and THANK YOU for sharing your wonderful button collection. I'd say you're a bona fide buttonaholic! So glad you showed them to us!

Ozstuff said...

Betzie, your artwork is exquisite. Your piece for this week's theme is superb in every way - so luscious, so beautiful. I was blown away with it and then I realised it was only the first course. My journey through your button collection had me gasping!! I did have a modest collection until my eight-year-old granddaughter asked if she could have some buttons for a school project (and some to share around all the other children in the class!!) Now I am buttonless. How sad.
Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful work and your collection with your blog friends.

Sandy said...

Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow so lovely.

Hermine said...

Gorgeous, and great button collection

Anne S. said...

OHBOY!!! I just LOVE your buttons!!!

johanna said...

fantastic post, betzie! lovely artwork and what a wonderful collection you have! i remember my mother´s button box was our treasure box, so fun when we were allowed to sort the buttons!

Taluula said...

Oh my goodness, your piece is exquisite Betzie, and your store of buttons is astounding. Thank you for sharing them and also for the tip on how to make our own. You deserve a standing ovation my friend.

Astrid Maclean said...

Gorgeous pieces and your collection of buttons is incredible! You could start a store:)

Jester said...

I love both your pieces and your button collection is amazing!

vintage wil said...

Beautiful work!!

Followers