
As a mom myself, I know there have been times when I've felt misunderstood, by my husband, my own mom, and my children...but I have always felt like I was blessed with a fantastic mother, a wonderful role model, and I guess I've prided myself on being a "good mom".

In working on my Marie Antoinette Toy Theatre, I had to research her quite a bit, and although she had a horrendous reputation, just ask my teenage sons, who studied about her in their history classes, I came to the conclusion she was truly misunderstood and so very much another "good mom". If there was anything that she did well in her short lived life, it was being a loving, caring mother to her children. I read that in those times, the upper class would send their children away to be schooled and didn't have all that much to do with them. NOT Marie...she insisted her children remain with her at home...a "home schooler" I'm sure she'd be labeled now. She suffered miscarriage and lost a child at a young age...having suffered miscarriages myself, I could relate so well and again I found myself sympathizing with her. She so loved her privacy as I do, and she has become a spirit that has lived inside of me these past few months.


This is just a sneak preview of more to come that I have made for her and by her...In this portrait of Marie, I wanted to show her serene and happy side that her children brought out in her.
She was a "mother" first and foremost, then a Queen...and as a Queen she felt locked away in a prison of deceit, treason, hatred, and misunderstandings.


Her love for beautiful things was obvious, and as a young girl she couldn't help but be caught up in all the opulance that was available to her. Wouldn't we all have been?
My sons will never understand her, but her heart was held by her children, as mine is as well.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !!!!
10 comments:
What a thoughtful, insightful post! I imagine there are many of us out there who have felt misunderstood at some time and you've made us stop and think about our perceptions of others. Your peek at your project is wonderful. I can't wait to see more.
Happy Mother's Day to you!!
This is a beautiful post Betzie! I feel the same way you do about her. Yes, she made mistakes and they were big ones, but she was so young and had no one to guide her. Later in life, motherhood transformed her into her true self. The glimpses of your theater are amazing. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Wishing you a Beautiful Mother's Day!
xx Nancy
betzie how amazing. you have got inside the heart of this woman and reintroduced her to us all - thankyou.
the detail in your artwork is amazing. lovely
Hi Betzie, Just the best and most beautiful post ever!! Love it and the sneak peek at your gorgeous theater. You are a true talent!
Happy Mother's Day!!
Hugs, Celestina,
la rea rose
WOW! This is such a wonderful post! I did not know these things about Marie Antoinette! Thank you so much for this information! i have always been intrigued by her but dont know much about her! Your work is just fabulous! Thank you so much for visiting me! I hope you are having a beautiful Mother's Day!
Amy
Bonjour Betzie,
What a lovely tribute, and a nice sneak peek at your toy theatre as well. I am looking forward to seeing more!
This theater looks amazing, I love everything Marie Antoinette. I can't wait to see the finished creation. Karen
I agree with you about Marie, after seeing the movie which was beautiful to see but the next time I think I will turn off the volume... my husband and I did some research on her, I was quite surprised ....
because she was a very different person then I was led to believe…
and yes a wonderful mother, did you know that she also had adopted children...
she was the topic of conversation for a few weeks at our dinner table.
I would love to do a more in depth project on her. Something I hope to accomplish during the summer..
I love your artwork and this project is wonderful....
Louise
When I became a Mother there was so many things I was going to be with and to my children. The perfect little Mom. But like most things this to would pass. But when all is said and done, I am proud of my growing years with my kids, we had a really good time.
And they grew up nice.
I love all the post you have done about Marie, I watched her movie the other evening...she was so young. Be Back, Mary
Really Gorgeous!
Sandra Evertson
Post a Comment