Sunday, September 03, 2006

Home Is Where The Heart Is....


I've really been feeling this sentiment lately. I just love my home, and yes, my heart is here. So when my husband mentions that it's too big for him these days and too much work, AND that he'd like to downsize, I just cringe inside. I have put so much of myself into this house to make it become a home for my family, that it's not easy to think of ever leaving it! When I was only in my early twenties, I remember my parents getting ready to sell theirs, after living in it for over thirty years. We had a huge yardsale, and my poor mom couldn't even stay around for it. She left and went shopping. I remember her seeming so sad and depressed. Of course, I was totally in another stage of life, and had no great empathy at all....funny how time changes and one day, you grow up to be your mother's age, and suddenly see things through her eyes.

Home is also where my ART is....I love my old prints up on the walls, my antique handpainted china plates, my photos of my children, and my old dog portraits. I also love my crafts, even the ones I haven't tried yet. The stockpiles of pretty fabrics waiting to be created into something for my home, the beads waiting to be wired into a gift for a family member, the broken plate pieces waiting to be turned into a new creation of colors and form.

But once again, time keeps a passing...mums take the place of geraniums....pumpkins take the place of watermelons, orange, yellow and brown, take the place of red, white, and blue, fall is in the air....
and I have a zillion things I want to do! A new season awaits me at every bend....and my home is my favorite canvas on which to paint my soul.

2 comments:

Janet said...

What a beautiful post! I am in the throes of getting our house ready to put on the market and even though we've only lived here about five years it is still heart wrenching for me. Plus we will most likely move far away from my daughter and grandson. So when I read your post I knew exactly how you feel.

Betzie said...

Thanks Janet!!! Good luck with your move. I feel for you. My husband told me tonight that he may be looking into a Dean's position at a few colleges...ut-o, I may be following in your footsteps. I guess life just throws us curve balls sometimes. I suppose we can find that change can be good too. Hope your future holds lots of good things and a new adventure for you!
Betzie

Followers